Mr. Kirkpatrick's Earth Science Class Page
Please stay safe and healthy.
Group A - hpgnyfo
Group B - j2wa36a
Virtual Field Trips
I'm sure by now there can be some frustration and confusion about assignments in the house, which is why I am giving you the opportunity to take a VIRTUAL Field Trip! Virtual field trips are a fun and educational way to visit places virtually and keep “travel” going at this time when travel has come to a halt.
Visit some of the best art galleries in the world virtually. From Paris to New York to Amsterdam, kids can see priceless works of art from the world’s most famous artists.
- Louvre Museum, Paris https://www.louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne
- National Gallery of Art, Washington DC https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/national-gallery-of-art-washington-dc?hl=en
- Metropolitan Museum of Art https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/the-metropolitan-museum-of-art
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/van-gogh-museum?hl=en
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence Italy https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/uffizi-gallery?hl=en
- Choose a piece of art to focus on. Describe it, tell why you chose it and how it makes you feel.
- Choose 2 works of art to compare.
- Choose a favorite painting or sculpture and create a copycat piece of art.
- Research an artist.
Zoo webcams have allowed visitors to drop in on the habitats of some of the zoo’s favorite animal exhibits.
- San Diego Zoo https://kids.sandiegozoo.org/videos
- Zoo AtlantaPanda Cam https://youtu.be/_6wbfVWVk8Q
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo https://nationalzoo.si.edu/webcams
- Reid Park Zoo Lion Cam in Tuscon, AZ http://reidparkzoo.org/cameras/lion-cam/
- Ouwehand Park Polar Bear Cubs Rhenen, Netherland https://explore.org/livecams/polar-bears/polar-bear-ouwehand-twin-cubs-cam-2
- Do more research on your favorite animals and make a field guide about the zoo.
- Research the habitat of your favorite animal. Use at home materials to create a miniature habitat.
- Draw your favorite animal from the zoo and write a fictional story about it.
- Compare and contrast two of the animals or habitats you observed at the zoo.
Just like with zoos, aquariums have used webcams to let you visit their exhibits virtually. In addition, some aquariums have set up virtual tours led by their staff to give visitors a more in depth look at their facility.
- Monterey Bay Aquarium https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals-and-exhibits/live-web-cams
- Georgia Aquariumhttps://www.georgiaaquarium.org/webcam/ocean-voyager/
- National Aquarium Virtual Tour http://samuraivirtualtours.com/example/nadc/index.html
- Virtual Tour of the Seattle Aquarium
- Research your favorite sea animals and make a google slides presentation.
- Watch Finding Nemo, Finding Dory, or any animated movies with ocean/sea creatures. Identify the types of sea creatures in the movie and write a role play script with people in your family.
- WatchDisneynature’s Oceans
TRAVEL THE WORLD
In this day and age, it is easier than ever to travel the world without leaving home.
- Visit the Great Wall of China https://www.thechinaguide.com/destination/great-wall-of-china
- Virtually discover Yellowstone National Park https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/photosmultimedia/virtualtours.htm
- Tour England through this 360 video.
- Take a live look at Colonial Williamsburg.
- Go on a virtual field trip to Ellis Island.
- Plan a trip to a new destination. What would you do, see, eat? Make a travel itinerary for the vacation.
- Make a travel brochure for the destinations you visited.
- Write a postcard from a specific destination. Include details about the place and what you can see there.
~After your child has gone on their "virtual" field trip, please have them complete one or more of the follow-up activities or write about their trip by making a book about their findings on the trip answering questions: what, who, where, how, why, when.
I hope your kids enjoy this!! I thought these were pretty cool!